There’s no denying that summer in downtown Newport – and even better on the surrounding waterways – is simply magical. With gorgeous seas perfect for sailing, warm summer days, gorgeous beaches and coastline to enjoy, and all the grandeur and splendor of the Gilded Age on full display, what’s not to love about a summer weekend in beautiful Newport? Add to all these unforgettable summer adventures a delightful array of shops, restaurants, and more in downtown Newport. It is no surprise this has become such a beloved summer getaway.
While we won’t argue with the splendor of summer days on Narragansett Bay, it’s worth mentioning just how exceptional downtown Newport can also be in the winter. It may be cold here in the winter, but the beaches are just as beautiful – if not more so under a blanket of snow – and there’s still plenty of great shopping, dining, and scenery to enjoy in beautiful downtown Newport.
The only thing better than enjoying the many great things to do in Newport, RI this winter is treating yourself to a few days of indulgence at our Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast. We offer five unique rooms in our beautifully restored historic home, and we’re just a short 3-minute walk from everything you want and need in downtown Newport.
Join us this holiday season for some of the best holiday shopping around, or retreat this winter to the tranquil atmosphere of our Inn. There are few things better than a restful winter getaway. Book your room at our Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast today!
Explore Downtown Newport With Us This Winter
We love exploring downtown Newport regardless of the season.
If you’re in town during the holidays, downtown Newport is a spectacular place to find unique, one-of-a-kind gifts that are perfect for everyone on your holiday shopping list. But no matter the season, downtown Newport is always a fun place to browse. Head to the popular bustling wharves, explore the shops on Thames Street or duck down one of the charming cobblestoned walkways in downtown Newport.
Wherever you go, you’re bound to find fantastic shops. A few of our favorite shops to consider visiting include the following:
- The Spice & Tea Exchange on Thames Street.
- Shore Soap Company on Thames Street.
- Eileen on Thames on Thames Street.
- Kiel James Patrick at Bowen’s Wharf.
- Anchor Toffee at Bowen’s Wharf.
- Newport Mansion’s Store at Bannister’s Wharf.
- Primavera Newport at Bowen’s Wharf.
- Pick up some local art at Sheldon’s Fine Art on Bowen’s Wharf.
You can also stroll Spring Street, which runs parallel to Thames Street, for even more great shopping, or head to Franklin Street, just a few steps away from downtown Newport for unique and curated boutiques. Finally, if high-end retailers are calling you, don’t miss shopping on historic Bellevue Avenue.
Food & Drink
It’s no secret that downtown Newport is home to incredible restaurants ranging from simple budget eats to high-end, upscale cuisine. With fewer crowds in town, winter is the perfect time to wine and dine with your sweetheart at the top Newport restaurants. We’ve listed 10 of our favorites for you to enjoy here.
- Bouchard Restaurant
- Clarke Cook House
- 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille
- White Horse Tavern
- The Fifth Element
- The Mooring
- Yagi Noodles.
- Perro Salado
For more food fun in downtown Newport, consider taking the Newport Winter Foodies Stroll. While you’re eating your way through downtown Newport, you’ll need something to drink to wash it all down. Why not stop at one of downtown Newport’s many excellent wineries and breweries?
More Things to do in Newport, RI This Winter
Whether you’re just here for a day or two enjoying some shopping in downtown Newport or want to experience everything this incredible area offers, we’d love to see you. Winter is a wonderful time of year to visit us.
Beyond shopping, dining out, and enjoying the cozy vibes of downtown Newport this winter, we’ve listed a few more of our favorite things to do in Newport, RI in the winter.
- Visiting the famed Newport Mansions, especially when you’re here in time to see them dressed up for the holidays.
- Bundle up and take a walk on the historic Newport Cliff Walk. It’s simply gorgeous in the winter.
- You can enjoy similar views of Newport’s coastal paradise from the warmth of your car on the 10-mile scenic Ocean Drive.
- Head to the Castle Hill Lighthouse, and enjoy one of the most iconic views of Newport, RI in the winter.
- Keep warm and away from the chilly weather outside by visiting the Newport Art Museum.
- Several spas in the area offer indulgent treatments, and one of our favorites is The Bodhi Spa.
There’s so much to love about winter in Newport, and we’d love to share it with you this year. Book your room at our Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast today!