Of the many excellent things to do in Newport, RI, visiting the Newport Art Museum is at the top of our list. If you’re familiar with the charming coastal town of Newport, RI, it’s probably no surprise that this lovely seaport town has a great art museum. After all, Newport is also home to some of the most famous Gilded-Age mansions, owned by families and patrons who long supported the arts.
In addition to the Newport Art Museum, there are several art galleries and studios around town, making it a true destination for art lovers. Not only that, but Newport offers exquisite coastal beauty. Altogether, it’s an inspiring and relaxing place to stay, and it’s all made better when you choose to stay at our #1-rated Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast, too!
The Samuel Durfee House is centrally located and offers luxurious guest rooms, exceptional hospitality, and everything you could want from a getaway in the beautiful, coastal getaway of Newport, Rhode Island. Are you ready to see what we have to offer? Book your room at the best Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast today!
Your Guide to the Newport Art Museum
The Newport Art Museum is one of the oldest continuously operating art associations in the country. It was first established in 1912 as the Art Association of Newport, later becoming the Newport Art Association before finally settling on the Moniker Newport Art Museum.
The campus of the Newport Art Museum takes up 3-acres on Bellevue Avenue. The Museum’s galleries are housed in two historically significant buildings: the John N.A. Griswold House (completed in 1864, by architect Richard Morris Hunt) and the Cushing Memorial Gallery (completed in 1920, by Delano & Aldrich Architects).
Spread throughout these exhibition spaces at the Newport Art Gallery, you’ll find a diverse collection of artwork from their permanent collection, along with special exhibits that showcase more than 600 contemporary regional, national and international artists.
In addition to a rotating selection of works from the permanent collection housed at the Newport Art Museum, here are the current exhibits on display this spring.
- Above/Below, which is on display through April 24, 2022. This exhibit features many works from the permanent collection that help viewers gain new perspectives about the world we live in.
- Call & Response 2022 is on display through May 8, 2022. This is one of the most popular exhibits at the Newport Art Museum. Through this series, regional artists have the opportunity to explore the collection and then to choose an object (or objects) to which they would respond with an original work of art, or series of works, in any media.
- The Newport Biennial 2022 is on display through May 29, 2022. This is a juried exhibition and is one of the Newport Art Museum’s longest-standing traditions, and it showcases the work of New England artists.
- Howard Ben Tré Sculpture “Two-Capped,” 2010, is a permanent addition to sculptures at the Newport Art Museum campus.
There are also some exciting exhibitions in the works at the Newport Art Museum, including the following.
- Starting on May 14, 2022, there will be a new display of recent acquisitions from the past five years into the permanent collection at the Newport Art Museum. These will be on display in the Wright & Corridor Galleries of the Griswold House.
- Velvet & Silk: The Palmer Family Quilts is an exciting new exhibit coming to the Newport Art Museum from May 28 – September 11, 2022.
In addition to housing and displaying extraordinary works of art, the Newport Art Museum also holds regular events throughout the year. There is a winter speaker series taking place in February and March, and the Museum Reads series of events throughout the year.
More Great Things to do in Newport, RI
As wonderful as the Newport Art Museum is, it’s just one of the many things to do in Newport, RI. When you stay with us at our Newport RI Bed and Breakfast, you’re situated right in the heart of Newport, close to the top attractions. It makes getting out and exploring this beautiful town easy and fun!
There are plenty of things to do throughout the year in Newport, RI. Here are just a few of our favorites!
- Visit the Newport Mansions. It’s one of the top-rated things to do in Newport, RI, and for a good reason! These Gilded-Age homes are magnificent reminders of Newport’s storied past and offer an unprecedented view into what life was once like for America’s wealthiest families.
- There are some great wineries and breweries to visit in Newport, including Newport Vineyards. With over 50-acres of vines, Newport Vineyards prides itself on a robust portfolio of estate-grown wines perfected for more than 25 years. Their sister company, The Taproot Brewing Company, serves unfiltered hop-forward beers made in small batches.
- There are plenty of delicious restaurants to enjoy while visiting Newport, including many within easy walking distance of our Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast. Here’s a list of some of our favorite Newport, RI Restaurants.
- Ocean Drive is a breathtaking scenic to take. It navigates 10 miles along the Atlantic Ocean shoreline, where you’ll find captivating views around every corner.
- The Newport Cliff Walk is the perfect place to take a scenic walk. As you stroll along this peaceful 3.5-mile path, you’ll enjoy the panoramic ocean views, crashing waves, and ocean breezes, and you’ll even see some of the famous Newport Mansions along the way.
- Visit the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The complex, known formerly as the Newport Casino, includes a museum, grass tennis courts, and an indoor tennis facility. The Hall of Fame Open returns to Newport this summer from July 11 – 18, and tickets are now on sale!
- Browse the shops along Thames Street, which is the very heart of downtown Newport RI.
- As the weather warms up, there’s no better way to experience Newport, RI than on the water. Pick up one of the Newport Sailing tours, and enjoy this coastal retreat like never before.
As you can see, there’s never been a better place to visit than Newport, RI. Not only is the city bursting with incredible art at the Newport Art Museum, but it’s filled with a variety of fun and exciting things to do. It’s all made better when you choose our Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast as your home away from home. There’s a reason we’re one of the best places to stay in Newport, RI. Book your getaway today!