Summer is a fantastic time to visit the opulent and historic town of Newport, RI. While you’re here, enjoy touring the magnificent Gilded Age Newport Mansions, play tennis on the historic grounds of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, lounge on Newport’s best beaches, and take a stunning walk on the Newport Cliff Walk.
The Newport Cliff Walk is one of the top-rated things to do in Newport, and it’s easy to see why. This spectacular 3.5-mile walk brings you some of the best ocean views in all of Rhode Island, not to mention great views of the famed Newport Mansions. You can tackle the entire length of the Newport Cliff Walk in a single day or break up the walk into manageable sections as you explore the rest of Newport.
With so many incredible things to do in Newport this summer, you’ll need a few days to explore it all. Stay right in the heart of downtown Newport at our wonderful Newport, RI Bed and Breakfast. We’re within easy walking distance to many of the city’s top attractions, including access points to the Newport Cliff Walk.
Get ready to step back in time to America’s famed Gilded Age. Visit us at our Newport Bed and Breakfast today!
What You’ll See on the Newport Cliff Walk
It’s incredible how much you can see in just the short 3.5-mile Newport Cliff Walk. The Newport Cliff Walk, as the name suggests, hugs the cliffs on the eastern shore of Newport, and it’s earned a reputation over the years for being one of the most beautiful walks. If you want to walk the Newport Cliff Walk from start to finish, you should expect it to take 2.5 – 3 hours, but that depends on how much you stop and admire (and photograph) along the way.
Instead, most people split the Newport Cliff Walk up in manageable chunks spread out over a couple of days. However you approach it, get ready for a few miles of breathtaking ocean beauty, an interesting dose of history, and some fun adventure. Most of the path is paved and easy to navigate, though there are sections that are rocky and unpaved – sturdy shoes are a must!
At one end of the Newport Cliff Walk is the popular Easton’s Beach, and at the other is Reject’s Beach (AKA Bailey’s Beach). If you aren’t up for walking the entirety of the Newport Cliff Walk, we recommend a couple of sections.
- Start your walk on the Newport Cliff Walk at the 40 Steps on Narragansett Avenue. From there, continue south towards The Breakers Mansion and exit at Ruggles Avenue. You’ll get a lovely combination of ocean views here, plus you’ll see Ochre Court and The Breakers.
- Alternatively, you can start your journey on the Newport Cliff Walk at Ruggles Avenue and continue south until you reach Ledge Road. You still get to enjoy some ocean views from these vantage points, but more importantly, you’ll see a number of the Newport Mansions, including Rosecliff, Beechwood, Marble House, the Chinese Tea House, and Rough Point.
More Great Things to do in Newport This Summer
In a town with 400+ years of history, you probably aren’t surprised that there are so many great things to do in Newport, RI. Though the city is perhaps best known for its dramatic coastal scenery and magnificent Gilded-Age mansions, there’s much more to love about this charming seaside town. Here are the top ten things to do in Newport, RI:
- Take the scenic Ocean Drive, a 10-mile scenic drive around the island’s southern tip that brings together some of the area’s most beautiful scenery.
- Have a drink at The Lawn at Castle Hill. From here, you’ll enjoy unprecedented views of Narragansett Bay.
- Take a sail around the harbor for a truly quintessential Newport experience. There are several charters and tour companies offering a variety of sailing adventures, including sunset sails.
- Walk, shop, and eat your way through Thames Street, America’s Cup Avenue, and Bellevue Avenue. These streets comprise the heart of downtown Newport.
- Explore Fort Adams, the country’s largest, most sophisticated, and most complex coastal fort. Stunning sunsets can also be enjoyed from here!
- Visit Touro Synagogue, the oldest synagogue in America.
- Head to local wineries for wine tasting, or stop into a local brewery for a cold pint of craft brew.
- Spend a relaxing day at the beach. Some of the best beaches in Newport, RI, include Easton’s Beach/First Beach, King Park Beach, Gooseberry Beach, and Fort Adams State Beach.
Are you ready to explore all of the great things to do in Newport? Book your room at our luxurious Newport RI Bed and Breakfast today!